WebShop
Hier gibt's die gadgets

Languages
Sprache für das Interface auswählen

English German

Login
Benutzername

Passwort

Kostenlos registrieren!. Gestalten Sie Ihr eigenes Erscheinungsbild. Passen Sie das Seitenlayout Ihren Wünschen an

gadgetPool.de: Forum

gadgetPool.de :: View topic - Testing of GPS antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Testing of GPS antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Testing of GPS antenna Reply with quote

Good day,

after having been out of service for more than 1 year, I am back at the sailing front.

Yesterday, I switched on my navcenter 600 again, and saw that the connection with the GPS antenna was lost. Did the connection check on the navcentre, but no response.

Question:
Is there a method to check whether the GPS antenna (112) is actually transmitting data?

Looking forward to hear any tips!

Peer
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give us a few more details on your hardware configuration.
A Raystar 112 GPS can be used as NMEA or SeaTalk device.

You you have connected it as NMEA directly to the navcenter 600 ?
Or is there anything like a SeaTalk Nmea Bridge between the GPS and the navcanter ? If yes - does the bridge have a display ?

If you use it as NMEA GPS, you could connect the GPS to a different device and see if it does receive anything. Don't know what you have available. Maybe a GMDSS VHF with NMEA-IN Port ?
Or, you could connect it to a PC using it's RS232 Port or a USB<->RS232 converter. When you start a terminal programm on this PC, you should see GPS data.

Frank
Peer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

thank you for your swift reply.

The GPS antenna is a NMEA and connected to the GPS port on the NAV600.

Seatalk (wind, clause haul, speed, depth, compass, navdata, autopilot) is connected and I have your bridge connected to the NMEA so that I had connection to my laptop with all data.

By the way, I am considering to buy your multiplexer as well, as I now also have a AIS receiver so two RS232 for connection to the laptop.

Evrything had been working till september 2010, when I had last used this system. While starting up yesterday, I noted the date from 2010 on the intialisation screen, and I could not change it. I only got the error message that the GPS connection was not good. Checked that, but visually ok. Just like before.
I first wanted to check the functionality of the GPS.

Your tip to connect to RS232 and check as a terminal session is good. Will do that. If you have any other ideas, I appreciate any thoughts.

By the way, saw that you have an update for the seatalk bridge, but downloading it, only gives a new page with hex data. IS that correct? Save it as a .txt file?

Regards,

Peer
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peer

Quote:

Your tip to connect to RS232 and check as a terminal session is good. Will do that. If you have any other ideas, I appreciate any thoughts.

All right - I guess that a relatively easy was to test it.
If you need support - let me know.

Quote:

By the way, I am considering to buy your multiplexer as well, as I now also have a AIS receiver so two RS232 for connection to the laptop.

I also have a AIS Receiver here and I'm using it with the Multiplexer.
working just fine.

Quote:

By the way, saw that you have an update for the seatalk bridge, but downloading it, only gives a new page with hex data. IS that correct? Save it as a .txt file?

I would do a "left-Click" with the mouse on the link and choose "save as".
The Bridge updates are a .hex and a .eep file.
You will need this two files ( hex and eep ) for the megaload updater.

Regards,
Frank
Peer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Quote:

All right - I guess that a relatively easy was to test it.
If you need support - let me know.

Is it correct that in the terminal window, I only need to define the Com port, like in:
"Change port 4"
(if com 4 is the one to which the antenna is then connected)

What would you advice: to (re-)connect the antenna directly on the NAV600 or via the multiplexer?

Regards, Peer

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: