WebShop
Hier gibt's die gadgets

Languages
Sprache für das Interface auswählen

English German

Login
Benutzername

Passwort

Kostenlos registrieren!. Gestalten Sie Ihr eigenes Erscheinungsbild. Passen Sie das Seitenlayout Ihren Wünschen an

gadgetPool.de: Forum

gadgetPool.de :: View topic - Arduino integration
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Arduino integration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gubbeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Arduino integration Reply with quote

Hi!

Have anyone done any integration between the SeaTalk bridge and the Arduino platform? I have broadband aboard (with static ip/domain) and I'm hooking up an Arduino with the Ether-shield to the router to use as a small sensoring unit to read waterlevels, temperatures and the like from its small web-server. It would be swell if I could read the instruments the same way.

It's probably really easy to read the serial signals from the bridge, but I'm not very good at coding so I thought it would be interesting to hear if anyone have done it already.

/Per

(About the broadband in Swedish: http://psmedia.se/ester/?m=200807 )
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Per ,

At least "I" have not thought about SeaTalk bridge and the Arduino.
( Might be a good idea though. ) Maybee someone else has ?

I thought about adding a TCP/IP port to the bridge, but I just don't know if there is any demand for it. Do you think there are more users out there who are intereted in Ethernet connection to the Instruments ?

I personally have never seen a boat with an online broadband on board.
But obvously there are some out there.

Are you using the Network just for displaying your data on your board-computer, or do you even publish your data online on the internet ?

Regards
Frank
gubbeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did a test last summer with a network camera updating a picture on the blog and that worked quite well. Most network cameras have built in ftp functions and that in combination with a little cron script on the server made a fresh picture appear on the homepage regularly.

Broadband aboard is really simple with the Ericsson W21 ( http://www.ericssonw21.com ) as long as you're not to far from the coast Smile

The cool thing about the Arduino and the Etherboard is that the hard parts like the Ethernet stack and web server are already implemented. I don't think it would take to much work to just read the serial information and publish in on the web server.

Anyway, I'll order the Ether shield soon and start fiddling.

/Per
vklein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWallenwein wrote:
FWallenwein wrote:

At least "I" have not thought about SeaTalk bridge and the Arduino.
( Might be a good idea though. ) Maybee someone else has ?

I thought about adding a TCP/IP port to the bridge, but I just don't know if there is any demand for it. Do you think there are more users out there who are intereted in Ethernet connection to the Instruments ?

Regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
I am verry interested in Ethernet connection from the instruments.

The Chart Navigator Pro from Maptech, distributed by NV-Verlag is able to read NMEA-Data via TCP-IP using a Telnet client.

The NMEA-Data could contain data from GPS, wind, speed and depth and AIS -VDM Messages.

Normally, the Chart Navigator pro reads the data from various serial ports, puts them together and displays.

I use a netbook for displaying the data in the cockpit.

The problem was to display the data on a second computer on the navigators place. The Chart navigator can only act as a client

So I wrote a Telnet Server that reads data via the usb-link from seatalk ( Wind , speed, depth, heading ,....) and the GPS and AIS data from a RS232.
The telnet server runs on the EEPC with WinXP.

But I am interested in a solution without a PC.

I own an Arduino board with an ethernet Shield. I wrote a little telnet server for the Arduino, that can read NMEA-Data from a RS232 and send them to clients via TCP-IP.

But there are some problems.
The NMEA-data is send as a string with cr-lf at the end.
While testing with simulated data generated by a notebook via a usb-RS232-converter I got good data at 4800 baud, but not at 9600 or higher.
The problem is that the arduino can read at 9600 baud from the RS232 only if there are little delays between two chars.
The USB-Converter collects the data and sends it without any delays between two chars.

my question:

does the nmea-bridge make delays betweeen two chars while sending a neae-sentence?

regards vklein
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vklein,

well - currently the bridge sends data without a delay between characters.
Should'nt be a big problem to insert delays.

The SeaTalk Nmea Bridge uses "good old" RS232/RS422 drivers. We sure could implement delays here.

The SeaTalk Nmea Link has an USB chip - and that sends data out in packets without delay. We need to check the manual of this chip again to find out if there is any way to send with delays. I just don't know.

But - let's think about it a little bit more.

What "delay time" are we talking about ? I mean, this delay's will reduce the overall data rate. If the delays are too long, we would end up in a overall transfer speed somewhere near to 4800 baud ( or maybe even lower ).

In that case - I would not see the point in increasing baudrate and than reduce it by delays again. In that case, we could just as well stay with our 4800 Baud.

So - could you give me an idea about the range the delay time has to be ?

Frank
robotics

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Serial/Ethernet Multiplexer Reply with quote

hi vklein,
you can find muxer to provide your data in different baudrates and and UDP TCP/IP Server or Client here :
http://www.svb.de/index.php?sid=cf9e4c6656f1630e05674e07dcccd808&cl=details&anid=117875

or watch that video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnE-efSujyA

hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: