WebShop
Hier gibt's die gadgets

Languages
Sprache für das Interface auswählen

English German

Login
Benutzername

Passwort

Kostenlos registrieren!. Gestalten Sie Ihr eigenes Erscheinungsbild. Passen Sie das Seitenlayout Ihren Wünschen an

gadgetPool.de: Forum

gadgetPool.de :: View topic - Arduino Uno and NMEA-SeaTalk Bridge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Arduino Uno and NMEA-SeaTalk Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Arduino Uno and NMEA-SeaTalk Bridge Reply with quote

it turned out to be relatively easy to build a repeater to repeat output to an Arduino Uno based LCD/Button display over my berth. I can see Headng, Windspeed, Windirection, Depth, and lat/lon by pressing buttons. I get heading, windspeed and direction on one 16X2 LCD and can get the other things by pushing buttons. I modified TinierGPS library for Arduino by adding the code for IIDBT and IIMVW and removing some stuff Gene Knight (original author) had in it that I didn't need.

The Arduino code also accumulates highest windspeed since last reset button push and I can get that on another display.

heading is from an LSM303 module and I also have a second GPS module in addition to the primary Garmin source.

It took me about 3 weeks of fussing with this to make it work reliably. Now that I know it does, I'm going to build my own bridge so as not to hazard the one I bought from Frank and include everything on one unit with the bigger processor.

best regards, John
Johnathan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Arduino connection Reply with quote

Hi John.

I'm trying to do something similar to what you have done. May I asked how you connected your arduino to the bridge? Did you connect it directly or did you have to use a rs232to ttl converter before connecting to you arduino.

Any advice would be great.

Johnathan
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan,
I built an rs232 to ttl converter using a max232 ic and some capacitors. it worked fine.

I finally decided to leave the Bridge alone and build what i needed with Arduino mega2560. I need SeaTalk for wind and depth. I get heading from tilt-compensated compass module and gps from skylab gps module.

I built all this up on breadboard, got code to work, and am now building the final installation. There will be the compass/gps receiver mounted on boat's radar arch, the Arduino near the helm with lcd read-out, and the lcd repeater in the v-berth so i can see wind-speed, depth, and detect anchor drag. I'm sending 12 volts to compass/gps and repeater and then reducing it to 5 volts for powering lcd , and modules to reduce voltage drops which might be problem with 2 way runs at 5 volts.

My first idea was to combine all of this on Frank's bridge and just add some code and a couple of more ports - they are there already, but it was too hard for me and I was afraid of ruining the Bridge. Arduinos are cheap, and I finally wrote my own code which is very simple but does not provide error detection like Frank's does and may not be best way to do it, but does work.

After doing my own, I was more impressed with Frank's design. It is very good and has only the components that are actually needed.
jpjcb66

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jferguson

Excuse my translation, I am French.
I also bought the bridge and I use Arduino uno.
I would like to study what you did.
Can you show me your code please?

Best regards

jean-pierre
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre, i will be happy to email you my code, and some photos of what I did. I'm not quite finished yet, but am happy with what I have so far.

We're going to England on Monday and if i don't get these things to you tomorrow, it will take a month.

best regards, john ferguson
jpjcb66

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thank you for your quick response.
I give you my e-mail by MP

good night
jp
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the code and the hardware to work. I decided the display was an Annunciator. In the US, this is what they call the display board installed near entrances in tall buildings to tell the firemen where the fire is, and give them some control over pumps and emergency lights in the building.

It is displaying heading, wind-speed, magnetic wind-direction, depth, and distance (in feet) and bearing to last fix.

The button on the left sets fix to present position so I can then see if I am dragging. distance and bearing to last fix is from where I am now to where I was when I reset "last fix." This way I can stay in berth and keep warm if not dragging.

The second button brings a page which shows present position lat/lon and highest wind-speed since manual reset and shallowest depth.

Third button resets highest wind-speed, and shallowest depth.

fourth button shows fix position and present position - a reality check.

Micro-controller is Arduino Uno R3 with a shield (wiring interface board) made for an Arduino Mega - it is bigger, but if you are sure to use correct pins, some of which are different on Uno from Mega, you can make it work.

Compass is LSM303 from Pololu, GPS is SkyLab bought on Ebay.

Compass GPS board goes into waterproof box on radar arch.

This is not the best GPS. It sends 3 nmea sentences once a second (1 Hz).

I will replace it with a better one that costs $30 +/- at Mouser in US and can read 66 satellites with 1.3M accuracy(???) and cycles through the nmea sentences at 10Hz.

I still have a problem with highest wind-speed and shallowest depth. If I leave it on all night, I get 0 (Zero) for depth in morning and some crazy high-windspeed like 78 knots overnight. I can solve least depth by requiring new reading to be near last two readings. Wind-speed is harder because I could get a gust. I don't know what to do with this yet.

I will send code and photos to anyone who leaves email by PM.

It still has bugs and I'm still working on it. I'm adding a second compass, and adding subroutines to choose which compass to use, and calibrate (compensate) each compass. Maybe some other things.

john ferguson m/v arcadian lying threemile harbor, Long Island, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: