WebShop
Hier gibt's die gadgets

Languages
Sprache für das Interface auswählen

English German

Login
Benutzername

Passwort

Kostenlos registrieren!. Gestalten Sie Ihr eigenes Erscheinungsbild. Passen Sie das Seitenlayout Ihren Wünschen an

gadgetPool.de: Forum

gadgetPool.de :: View topic - Connection from GPS to Autohelm ST1000 : Result of seatrial
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Connection from GPS to Autohelm ST1000 : Result of seatrial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrelande
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Connection from GPS to Autohelm ST1000 : Result of seatrial Reply with quote

hello,

I have been able to test the latest version 1.41 with the following setup:
- Garmin GPS eTrex legend with a complete route including more than 15 waypoints and sharp turns. The GPS outputs NMEA signals.
- Autohelm ST1000 connected with Seatalk
- ideal sea conditions, no current

The first conclusion is that the bridge is able to perfectly send the needed information from the GPS to the ST1000. Please have a look at the following screenshots of the ST1000:

Bearing to next waypoint

Cross-track error : in this case the boat is left of the track

Distance to waypoint

The second conclusion is that the ST1000 is able to steer according to the information, steering toward the destination and minimizing the crosstrack errors.

I forced the boat out of the track in order to see how the autopilot would correct the situation. Please have a look at the following charts, they show the error correction algorithm:

You need to know that for this 60 degrees angle error, the autopilot will need as much as 0.8 nm before reaching the right track again. The maximum cross track error was 0.2 nm. This error correction is thus very slow, much slower than a manual correction.

When the waypoint is reached and the GPS starts heading for the next waypoint, the ST1000 sounds the next waypoint alarm and will make sharp turn once the captain clears the alarm.

There was a few strange phenomenons I would like to share with other members of the forum:
- the ST1000 stopped reacting to the GPS for 10 mins and claimed that no navigation position is available. I was able to get the NMEA messages during this time and the most strange is that they show that the bridge has both the NMEA and the Seatalk connection (the ST1000 sends $IIHDM messages). I don't know why this happened!

NMEA output

The other surprising reaction is that sometimes the "waypoint advance" function did not work. The ST1000 did ignore the waypoint change indicated by the GPS. As a result the ST1000 made the "slow" turn above instead of the sharp turn. I would like to know from other members of the forum whether this could be due to some "intelligence" in the ST1000? Could it be due to the prior usage of "manual corrections"?

Thanks again for this great functionality of the bridge!
rrelande
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: strange phenomenons with ST1000 Reply with quote

hello,

did anybody else experience those strange phenomenons with the Autohelm:
- unavailability of the navigation data for few minutes
- missing waypoint advance notification sometimes

I'm sure I'm not the only one to use the Autohelm with a "simple" GPS.

Rasmus
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry - i'm currently moving into a new house.
Everything is packed Sad So I currently can't try it myself.
I have tried it on a charter boat last june - and I didn't have that "unavailability" Problem.
I would like to test it again - but that takes a bit of time until I have unpacked all my stuff again.

Anyone else with expieriences on this ?

Frank
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

a question regarding your waypoints.

How did you name your waypoints.
"Waypoint names" sent to SeaTalk are just the first 4 characters of the NMEA-Waypoint and this 4 characters are translated into uppercase letters.

So, if your waypoint names have the same first 4 characters, it could be, that the ST1000 does not "see" it as a new Waypoint.

Example :

NMEA:............. SeaTalk:

POINT1.............POIN
Point1.............POIN
POINT2.............POIN

This would all be the same waypoint name for the ST1000.

... just an Idea, but maybee it helps.

Frank
shazinaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for a very clear and helpful post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: