WebShop
Hier gibt's die gadgets

Languages
Sprache für das Interface auswählen

English German

Login
Benutzername

Passwort

Kostenlos registrieren!. Gestalten Sie Ihr eigenes Erscheinungsbild. Passen Sie das Seitenlayout Ihren Wünschen an

gadgetPool.de: Forum

gadgetPool.de :: View topic - Building and using the Bridge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Building and using the Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Building and using the Bridge Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to build the Bridge and have a couple of questions.

1. Looking at the code source, it appears that the serial LCD connectors were used in an earlier version (pre-3.5) version of the bridge and may be used rather than the 4 line LCD which is directly mounted on the board.

2. I assume I can change the source to send data to both the built-on 4 line LCD and a simpler 2 line LCD to be located in my V-berth.

3. It looks like you put silicone on your capacitors when you build your bridges. Why?

I like your code. You have been very thorough and provided ewnough comments for me to see how it works. thank you
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Building and using the Bridge Reply with quote

jferguson wrote:

1. Looking at the code source, it appears that the serial LCD connectors were used in an earlier version (pre-3.5) version of the bridge and may be used rather than the 4 line LCD which is directly mounted on the board.

That's correct. Both - the serial line and the 4-line parallel connection are available in the hardware and in the software.
In the software, you can select which connection to use by setting a proprocessor variable in the "global.h" file.

#define LCD_PARALLEL = 4 line parallel mode
/* #define LCD_PARALLEL */ = serial mode.

The serial mode takes a little bit more space in software. Since processor memory is pretty much all used up, it can be necessary to disable some other functions in order to get enough space for the serial display mode.

jferguson wrote:

2. I assume I can change the source to send data to both the built-on 4 line LCD and a simpler 2 line LCD to be located in my V-berth.

Sure. You find the LCD Display routines in stalk.c
If you you more detailed info - let me know.

jferguson wrote:

3. It looks like you put silicone on your capacitors when you build your bridges. Why?

Just to protect the capacitors form mechanical vibrations and to improve mechanical stability of the board.

jferguson wrote:

I like your code. You have been very thorough and provided ewnough comments for me to see how it works. thank you

Thank's. I think you can never have too much comments. I should have even more Smile

Last edited by FWallenwein on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
thanks for the answers. I built mine last night and it seems to work fine. I don't always get things right the first time, but I took unusual care and didn't work on it too late at night.

I wonder if you have archives of discussions about the code? I ask, because it would waste much less of your time if I read what other people have asked about.

But one question. Is it possible to interrogate the bridge with the terminal to see what the configuration is already set to? maybe something like
$SNBSE,0

thank you once more for this fine device.

john
FWallenwein
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Quote:
But one question. Is it possible to interrogate the bridge with the terminal to see what the configuration is already set to? maybe something like
$SNBSE,0

Yes, with the terminal, you can read the setting.

Just type

$SNBSE,0<ENTER>

the bridge will reply

$SNBSE,0,0.000 or $SNBSE,0,0.001 .....

or

$SNBSE,2<ENTER>

the bridge will reply

$SNBSE,0,0.005

( I know - should be $SNBSE,0,1 instead of 0.001 - but that's something I'll habe to fix in one of the next software releases. )

Quote:
I wonder if you have archives of discussions about the code? I ask, because it would waste much less of your time if I read what other people have asked about.

Unfortunately not. Actually there haven't been very may discussions about code. 99.9% of the users just want to have a fully assembled and working bridge.
Every bridge comes with the sources - but there is virtually no feedback regarding the sources.

I wish more users would change or extend or work with the software - but that's very rare.

Frank
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
The parts have now been made into a working Bridge. It is connecting a Garmin 152 GPS, a Raymarine ST40 Wind Indicator, and a Raymarine ST40 depth sounder, sending this information to a 13 year old Comapq Armada m300 by serial connection. The Armada is transmitting it to a Cellular router and to the HP notebook I'm writing this from. The software on the Armada and this HP is PolarCom which is free at Polarnavy.com. I use PolarView for navigation and driving the autopilot. It works a little bit like SeaClear but runs directly on Linux and allows display of more than one track at same time - important if you run in the same shallow water all the time.

The bridge is installed in a box. Cutting a clean hole for the LCD was the challenge it always is. I have an on-off switch for the 12 volts and a double pole - double throw switch to select navigation or bi-directional computer control for when I get into program modification.
I'm looking into adding a compass module - located away from the bridge so i can have heading information when the boat isn't running.

http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/SEN-CMP/Compass+Module

Your bridge is a wonderful project.

I do want to ask, what size fuse are you using for the 12 volts. Maybe 3 amps would be too big?

best regards, john ferguson m/v arcadian
jferguson
Master
Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
I would like the LCD to show feet for depth rather than meters.

It looks like you convert feet to meters at the display section in stalk.c by multiplying by 305/10000 then later dividing by 100.

Can I assume that if I remove this math, recompile and reload, I will not do any other damage?

john ferguson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    gadgetPool.de Forum Index -> Seatalk NMEA Bridge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: